When you are driving, keeping a number of items in your car if anything goes wrong could be the difference between getting stranded and arriving safely at your destination.
As a military household, you should be used to planning and staying battle ready. So why should it be any different when it comes to your car? You don’t need to be an expert mechanic to know how to deal with a minor issue on the road, and having the right tools can get you out of an inconvenience.
Tools for the exterior
There are several tools you should always have in your car. The following will ensure no matter where you are on the road, if something comes up, you should be able to handle it.
- ALWAYS keep a spare tire. This is very important, as this is one of the most common, but easy to fix, car repairs. Check periodically to make sure your tire is inflated enough and in good shape.
- Put a tire jack in the car. This is necessary, as you won’t be able to lift or change a tire without it.
- Keep a toolbox. Whether you are changing a tire, need a screwdriver to fix a mirror, or a mallet to pop a wheel well molding, keeping an everyday tool kit in your trunk can help resolve a variety of issues.
Tools for the interior
While your car may have the right tools to keep the exterior in fighting shape, having items that keep internal systems running is also important.
- Keep a bottle of windshield washer fluid. Not being able to see while driving is dangerous, and you can run out of fluid year-round. Make sure you have the right stuff.
- Be prepared with jumper cables or a jump-starting kit. Don’t get stranded with a dead battery. A jumper cable or jump-starting kit is an essential thing you should keep in your car.